F!

Do you like candy?

Dienstag, Oktober 18, 2005

I fucking hate my job at the moment...

...anyone wanna trade?

I swear that I have NEVER been unhappier with a job situation than I am right now. I didn't spend two-thirds of my life going through the whole (and as I see it now, quite bogus) education process to figuratively end up "back at the bottom of the food chain", as it seems in my current position. I mean, GODDAMN! When I started this job about two and a half years ago, I had my own lab, my own technicians, and successfully developed a brand-new research facility that brought a technology to the institute that was lacking before I joined. What now? A technician who happens to be the fucking wife of one of the faculty members joined five months ago...and has been GIVEN the facility that I started...as well as my former technicians. I quite literally have no independently-designated research space at all right now. FUCK!!!!! Again, I say FUCK! Nepotism fucking sucks and is (of course) not legally endorsed by the university medical center to which our smaller research institute belongs, but there's not even a way to turn it in without anyone at my institute of course realizing who had done so.

In brief: I adore science but hate politics. Hell, it's a wonder anything useful is even accomplished in the World of research given how much ass-kissing and sleeping with superiors is apparently required to advance (or even stay afloat, for that matter) professionally. Add to that the fact that, in order to get grants, science is governed to a surprisingly large extent upon the concept of "publish or perish". It is so important to maintain a long list of publications to obtain grant funding...and even at that, in journals that are considered to be "better" than others (yup, snobbery is BEYOND alive and well in this profession)...that, in an increasingly frequent manner, the concept of a manuscript comes before the actual research: "Gee, Dr. X, this idea would have enough impact that we should write a paper about it; do you think that Drs. Y and Z will be able to come up with the proper data to support it?". I shit you NOT AT ALL on this.

SO, the next time you read any news blurb relating to scientific discoveries of any sort, keep in mind the fact that those behind the research are NOT thinking of the "betterment of mankind" in the least; the scientists were thinking of nothing more than themselves...and even beyond the publication aspect, whether or not they can patent their "discoveries" and crawl into bed with a pharmaceutical company for financial gain.

Oh, and for an even sicker side-note: the director of my institute has already begun to outline what experimental results he "thinks" he needs to generate (or fabricate) in order to garner a Nobel prize nomination.

This fucking SUCKS.

6 Comment(s):

Blogger PABlog03 said...

Staggering stats on blog adoption
If you were ever skeptical about hockey-stick market adoption curves, just take a look at the data ... Shipley has worked as a writer and editor for variety of technology consumer magazines, including PC Week, PC Magazine, PC/Computing, and InfoWorld, US Magazine and Working Woman.

Hey, you have a wonderful blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

Check out this internet marketing site. It pretty much covers internet marketing related stuff.

Feel free to browse :-)

A. Family Income Increase - News on cashing in greater income for your family.
B. Healthcare and Fitness- Top international leaders in healthcare and fitness.
C. Network Built from Your Desktop - For successes in your own powerful online network and sales. This is NOT MLM.
D. The Market Leader - Leading source of powerful products and services for millions of webmasters and marketers! A Must!
E. Email 1000s of PayPal Customers SPAM FREE - Email 1000s of PayPal members each day for Only $12 per year.
F. Nutritional Supplements - The leading source of natural nutritional supplements developed to meet a wide range of your personalcare needs.
G. Self Defense Stun Pens - Stun pens, stun guns, stun batons and pepper spray protecting the personal safety of your family members.
H. Vitamin Power Store - An exclusive line of over 300 highest-quality, natural nutritional products, developed to meet a wide range of health and personal-care needs.
H. Nutritional Supplements - Your daily source for the best and the most powerful nutritional supplements.

6:46:00 nachm.  
Blogger ariadneK, Ph.D. said...

DUDE, Storm Trooper, can we turn the word verification thing back on? I cannot believe some of the spam we're getting!!!

6:51:00 nachm.  
Anonymous Anonym said...

Google Opens 8 Book Search Sites in Europe
Google Opens 8 Book Search Sites in Europe : This will further alienate book publishers: Google ... (with Intermix), it is happening in Australia: News Corp.
Hi, you have a great blog here! I am definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a real estate playacar site/blog. It pretty much covers real estate playacar related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-) Tom

2:07:00 vorm.  
Blogger elvira black said...

I like the self-defense stun pens listed in the first blogspam above. Maybe there'd be a way to utilize this at your job to get back at some of these fuckers. Yeah, this is disgusting, but absolutely no surprise whatsoever. Ugh.

9:33:00 vorm.  
Blogger Storm Trooper said...

Shit-tastic. You should get a better job. You don't sound happy.

9:58:00 vorm.  
Anonymous melly said...

I've heard of what you're describing before but that last comment of your makes my blood boil. And if I'm boiling, I can't imagine what you might be.
I wish I could say something encouraging. I'm usually very good at that.

5:29:00 nachm.  

Kommentar veröffentlichen

<< Home